Part Time Tutor - Fingal Youth Orchestra
Fingal Youth Orchestra is seeking a part-time tutor on a contract for services basis for its Senior Youth Orchestra commencing September 2019.
Fingal Youth Orchestra (FYO) aims to foster a love of classical orchestral music for 8 – 18 year olds, using professional music teachers as conductors and tutors. The orchestra draws members from all over the Dublin area and beyond and currently has between 40 and 50 players divided between the junior and senior sections. The two orchestras regularly join forces for joint programmes.
FYO is community based and a not-for-profit profit organisation. The orchestra is run by a voluntary committee and is funded from a combination of family subscriptions, voluntary donations and direct fundraising by parents and players. See www.fingalorchestra.ie for details.
The tutor will be expected to:
• Work in close collaboration with, and develop a strong working relationship with the Senior Orchestra Conductor, the Conductor and Tutor of the Junior section of the orchestra;
• In conjunction with Senior Orchestra Conductor, audition and select new members;
• To assist in the tuning of instruments etc.;
• In conjunction with the Senior Orchestra Conductor to set-up stage to present the Senior Orchestra at its best acoustically and visually;
• Assist in the development and preparation of quartets and other smaller groups;
• Assist in the tailoring of music arrangements to suit the ability and range of the orchestra;
• Prepare the Senior Orchestra for public performances, festivals and competitions;
• To participate in away trips and concerts;
• To ensure that new members are integrated successfully into the Senior Orchestra;
• To work from time to time with various combinations of players from the Junior and Senior Orchestras;
• Assist with the combined orchestra as required;
• To assist the Committee to fulfil its mission to foster the personal, social and musical development of the members of the Fingal Youth Orchestra, and to ensure their protection whilst in its care.
The ideal candidate should hold relevant qualification(s); have excellent communication skills; the ability to create positive rapport with players and embody our ethos of Music and Fun!
Payment shall be on a sessional basis at a rate per rehearsal on a Contract for Services basis. Away trips and other special events will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. The conductor shall not be an employee of Fingal Youth Orchestra and will be responsible for his/her income tax, social welfare contributions and any other statutory levies.
Rehearsals take place every second Sunday in St. Francis Xavier School, Roselawn, Castleknock from 9.15am to 12.30pm.
Applications with CV to [email protected]
Closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday 31st August 2019.
Published on 1 August 2019